Friday, May 16, 2008

Fajitas, Dumpster Diving, and Tow Trucks

Last night was the weekly Chuck Fields hangout. He's my BFF. Duh. I like to look at my life and wonder how in the world things have fallen into place as they have. You know that verse in Ephesians that says "to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine"....yeah, well God has done that with me. Back to Chuck Fields. He is 41 and the man and we met at Hope Point probably but I also bought a house a few years ago down the street from him. So we hung out a lot and now we like to sing "My Buddy" together on our Teddy Ruxpins.

Last night we ate at Monterrey, of course, then he needed to find some boxes for his daughter b/c she's moving out of her dorm. We went to Ingles to no avail (they were way rude to me....see if I ever ask a huge cooperation for a favor again. jerks) so we left. As we were pulling out we saw a glorious cardboard box that seemed to be in mint condition across the road.....in a dumpster. I pulled in and we opened up the huge door on the dumpster. We hit the jackpot. This dumpster was filled with terrific treasure. We pulled all the boxes out and put them in my car (did I mention that Chuck is also the head elder at Hope Point). As we were leaving Chuck said liquor stores were the mecca of cardboard boxes so I pulled into the front of a store like an idiot. This is what happened:


Me: oh man, I think liquor stores close at 7

Chuck: what are you doing? Drive around back to the dumpsters.

Me: Oh yeah, I forgot that's what we're doing now. Sorry.


He was right. Jackpot. That dumpster was just waiting for us to arrive. My favorite sentence of the night: "Grab that Bud Light box. They're the best!". Chuck was so happy. Before we get to Chucks house we go by Roger's (the accountant at Hope Point who is very intimidating but also the nicest, jolliest, tallest, baldest guy around) to get something. I make Chuck give him my monthly expense report b/c I am a baby and get scared around him. Anyway, we get in the car to leave and my car won't start. Everything just went black. Nothing.

Chuck is a member of AAA so he calls a tow truck. Meanwhile I walk around the neighborhood and talk to a few folks who live there that I used to teach with. It was great to catch up. Then Chuck and I laid in Rogers driveway and admired the almost full moon with the clouds flying past it. I was caught in a moment as Roger walks out and asks what the heck we were doing. I asked if he wanted to join us on the cement. He declined.

It ended up just being a battery. On the way home I was thinking about what a fun night it was. I love dumb nights that you would never script. Chuck and I got to hang out for a long time; I saw some friends from Oakbrook; had some delicious chicken fajitas; got a brand new battery; and got to dig through some dumpsters. That's what I am going to do on my next date. Lucky girl....way better than dinner and a movie.

No comments: