Friday, October 31, 2008

On Tour WIth Jerry Seinfeld

I did the coolest thing over the weekend; something that I've only dreamed of ever doing...I wouldn't have believed it had I not been there....I got a job at a tattoo parlor, no, I led worship at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium. Yay

It was awesome. We played for a conference last Saturday. We went early Friday morning to set up and do a sound check and walking in was hilarious. We just stood there like 14 year olds for about an hour. All the artists who have been there (Hank Williams Jr, Aaron Tippen, Derek Trucks, Jerry Seinfeld, Elmo) sign the walls around the stage. Oh yeah, the stage is 7 stories tall....it is the biggest stage I have ever played on. It was ridiculous.

We had a green room and catered food and dressing rooms, it was hot. But we are small time rednecks...we didn't know what was going on. All I could think about was this was the exact same stage Jerry Seinfeld stood on....his content was a liiiiiiiiiiiiittle bit different than ours....but, man, who would have ever guessed I'd be melting faces where Seinfeld had melted? Not this guy.

The coolest thing about it is we got to lead worship. I am super happy that I get to do what I love and I get fun opportunities like the Memorial Auditorium. I was like a little kid the entire day - running around the first 3 floors where all the dressing rooms are and the secret tunnels and a whole other auditorium in the basement...it was rad.

But I must say the only reason I get to stand on that stage (or a college campus or a church) is because of Jesus. I am not the greatest guitar player, I am not the funniest comedian, and I sure won't ever be in any beauty pageant (tons of Mrs South Carolina's signed the wall....whoooooooo cares). I am just a plain dude with a boring, high voice that loves to see the Holy Spirit usher people before the throne of God. And God continues to use me.

Okay, dumb story time: Since we were there, we had to do climb to the cat walk, duh. And Shag had dropped a doughnut from the top and it exploded. It was awesome. So we decided that we needed to drop a cream filled doug (umm, dougs) 7 stories onto Stu's stomach. Hes the man for volunteering. So I climb to the top with a day old cream filled doug and direct Stu to where I think it's going to land. I tell you, we should join the circus, that monster hit him right in the bread basket leaving a HUGE red mark and drawing a little blood. I wish you could've seen it.

The next time you get the opportunity to be on a gigantic stage do not pass up the chance to throw old food onto your friends. You'll be glad you didn't.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Would this have been the WOW Women's Conference? Cause that would make this post even better.

Just so you know, I lead worship at a women's bible study every Tuesday morning.