Friday, June 6, 2008

My Life

I'll tell you what - I have the most unique life of anyone around. Deb Mathis (top 10 coolest people I know) always laughs when she sees or hears what I am up to b/c of how ludicrous it is. Here's what's been going on lately:

I got to meet Bishop Alexis Bilindabagabo this week. He is a Bishop of the Anglican Church in Rwanda. I didn't know what a big deal he was until I met him. Apparently, he's #2 in command as being a Bishop goes in Rwanda. He has started tons of ministries, cleaned up lots of neighborhoods, and influenced a good deal of government officials. He's pretty much The Man of Rwanda. Like, you know when you tell someone you went to USC or Clemson the very next thing the person does is say, "Oh..Clemson....do you know Courtney Flowers"....and you're like "yeah, she's only 1 of 30,000 people there. we're great friends". Of course you don't know Courtney Flowers. Well, if you met someone from Rwanda and you ask them if they know Bishop Alexis they will definitely say yes. His apartment reeks of rich mahogany.

He loves the Lord big time and he has a very electric personality. He isn't afraid to speak his mind and make hard decisions. He is all about honoring God. He is pretty radical. I met him b/c Upward is thinking about going there to start a soccer (football) league and they asked me to go with them. First off, why does Upward love me? I ask this question all the time. There is no reason why Caz, Bill, or Shane should let me in the door. It's a God thing....thats the only explanation. But I love hanging out at Upward. I really do. The people there are terrific. I am now going to list who I love most there:

Just Kidding

But, number 2, why did God orchestrate a meeting between between me and an African Bishop who lost his entire family in the genocide in 1994? I have no idea. I was like a little child listening to the greatest story teller ever. It was a very powerful and encouraging meeting. I left wanting to do big things for God and not make God so small. I say I love God but do I give him the best of my day? My money? My eyes? All of my heart? Am I in constant wonderment of what God is doing? Do I try to talk about God in everyday situations? (the answer to all of those is a big, fat no). I want to answer yes. Meeting Bishop Alexis was powerful. He loves the Lord and it is contagious.

I also got to meet a lady named Dottie who works with college students in Spartanburg and she is HILARIOUS. We are leading worship together at First Pres in a few weeks for 4 and 5 year old kids so we met today to go over the songs. We ended up giving our life stories and talking about Jesus for about 2 hours and never touching our guitars. I loved it. I really did. I love meeting people who do big ministry things in Spartanburg. She is crazy and awesome.

Lastly, our softball team is in the winners bracket of the playoffs for the first time in 3 years!!!!!! Please hold you applause till the end. Tonight was the 2nd game of the playoffs; we played the #2 team (we are #3) and we won 17-5. We didn't beat them ever during the season but we have turned it on! Yes! We started the season very flat and it wasn't fun. I seriously didn't have fun playing at the beginning. But our attitudes have gotten better and we've gotten way better. It is great. I love playing softball, I love running, and I love to win. There is no team that has as much fun as us. It is great. We've come in 2nd place 2 years in a row but I believe this year is our year. We play the #1 team on Monday but if we continue playing the way we have been, we will be unstoppable. Man I love softball.

One more thing....I have been asking God to let me lead worship more and the phone has been ringing off the hook. I am playing for First Pres' kids, Junior High, and High School retreat, I'm playing at a baseball park in town this month, I'm playing in Niagara Falls in July, and at the Memorial Auditorium in Spartanburg. How about that!! What in the world is God up to? I don't know but I like it.

I think I need to be bolder in my prayers. Definitely more honest. I want God to use me big time and I want to stop choosing sin over Jesus. I want to stop being dumb. I want to make a big deal of God and not do things that make Him look dumb. I want to change.

No comments: