Thursday, January 1, 2009

Goodbye Gamecock Allegiance

I saw a little of the pathetic display of sport today called Gamecock Football. I think Spurrier thought it was a best 2 out of 3 tournament and he was pretending that we stink today so the next 2 games we will dominate....right? He was hustling the table, no? But I have bad news - it isn't a tournament, it is just one game and the Gamecocks got embarrassed. Now, I am used to losing, duh, I've followed the Shamecocks for 27 years but today was a total debacle.

Here's what I am doing. I am going on a 3 year hiatus from the South Carolina program. I have decided to pledge my allegiance to the Texas A&M Aggies b/c they like to win. The Gamecocks hate to win; they love to lose. So I am getting an A&M t-shirt, maybe a nice car magnet, and I'm going to learn the cheers, the players names, etc....it is on. I couldn't pick an SEC team team - that'd be like dating an ex girlfriend's friend (bad news, don't do it) and I couldn't pick an ACC team because they are all terrible. Therefore A&M it is. Here I come big 12!

At the end of the 3 years if the Gamecocks decide to like winning I will consider pulling for them again. You may call me a "fairweather fan" or "bandwagon" guy but 27 years of mediocrity will drive you to do crazy things. I will find a team who wins and I will pull for them. Or if the Gamecocks disband the football program for a year and come out for the first game in 2010 with pink dresses on I will respect them and consider dusting off my Gamecock pajamas for the 2011 season.

I am now officially not a Gamecock. Go Aggies.

3 comments:

Eunice Sneezefarts, J.D. said...

we are indeed "the most underachieving program in college football" as the announcers were fond of saying. i hate being the gamecocks. i wish i went to florida, then i would be happy all the time.

Robby said...

Hey Josh - Texas A&M went 4-8 on the season this year. If you're looking for a team to cheer for that loses more than then Gamecocks, you might have found one. After these 3 years, the Gamecocks will look like the Globetrotters of College Football compared to the Aggies and you will be happy to come back.

The Madden said...

I have said the same thing. But just for the football team. I am still going to support basketball and baseball because we are actually good in those sports and have bright futures. Really football is the only sport we are terrible in. How is that? Anyway I'm taking a 1 year hiatus from Gamecock football. You will not see me out there next year. If you do then you have my permission to give me a swift kick in the crotch.