Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Might As Well Be An Alien

As I was at Wofford College today having lunch I was reminded of how nerdy I am.  First off I am almost 30 and I'm eating lunch in a college cafeteria.  I bust in there like the Kool Aid Man and my 2 friends who I'm supposed to meet aren't there.  Maybe it was all in my head but I felt like everyone there was staring at the old guy....but I was wearing my Italian sport coat, pink T-shirt, white linen pants, Ray Bans, and slip-on sockless loafers.  Boy did I feel out of place.

I have no idea how college cafeterias work anymore.  The scary guy behind the hamburger grill was yelling at me for my order and I wasn't paying him any attention...I was no where close to the front of the line, cut me some slack.  Then I go to the 1 register to pay (1 register, seriously?) and I pull out the Visa card which took forever.  Everyone else just swipes their Terrier Bucks and keeps moving.  Not me.  I held the line up for about 4 minutes.  That line got really long. 

Here's where it goes down hill:  I get my receipt and try to spot my friends as I trip over the yellow "Caution, Wet Floor Sign".  It crashes to the floor (who knew those things could make so much noise??) and i steady my burger and fries as I'm slipping on the wet floor.  Good thing that sign was there.  

So I sit down with my friends all flustered and I realize one small thing - the 2 guys at this table aren't my friends, in fact I have no clue who these 2 guys are at all....they sure looked a lot like my 2 friends before I sat down.  Nope, wrong table.  So I moved.  

Finally I get seated with Bennett and Philip and we are enjoying a nice cafeteria lunch.  I get up to get a refill and I run into the girl sitting behind me, kicking her in the shins.  Our tables were absurdly close to one another in my defense but still...a little embarrassing.    It just wasn't my day.

I realized that I do not belong at all on a college campus.  The funny thing is when you are almost 30 you don't get embarrassed very easily....or at all.  If that stuff would've happened to me in college I would've cried for hours (i'm a big crier)....but today I was just like, "Oops, look out for that sign", and "Hey, wrong table" or "Sorry about your shins"....hahaha, I might as well be an alien.  


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

big crier? yea right...

Unknown said...

too funny, josh; ur welcome to come back and repeat that any time.

The Madden said...

You should probably stop wearing a polo shirt with gym shorts, black socks and loafers when you go out in public. It's a little off-putting.

Kari Wall said...

i just laughed myself to tears