Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ronald J Ridings III

Yesterday was Ron's day off (if you do not know Ron, he is the man and he is my dad) and we eat breakfast every time he's off.  Glorious.  There is nothing like Ron's breakfast...y'all lucky enough to have experienced it know what I'm talking about.

Remember how I lost the trailer I was hauling Saturday and dented the back doors on my car?  Well Ron had a solution.  Most people would just drop their car off at a body shop and pick it up when it's ready.  Not dad.  Where's the fun in that?  

We went to the coolest most backwoods place ever in Chesnee...dad's old friend Buster's shop...to find him sitting in a chair and smoking a cigarette.  He looked at the car, made fun of dad, talked about the losers in our family, showed us his rad Fairlane, then smoked 3 more cigarettes.  

Once he agreed to fix the car dad and I headed to Vickers, the most awesome junk yard ever.  This place baffles me.  It is full of guys who look like they couldn't tie their shoes but when you ask them about a car part, they look it up in the computer and find it in about 12 seconds.  

Have you ever been to a junk yard before?  It's is sooooooo much fun.  There is crap everywhere.  Vickers is huge...there are cars everywhere.  The guys that work there are awesome.  Ron and I ask about the doors and a Hispanic dude drives up in a car to take us to the Tahoes.  The car is a dump...plus there's only once seat.  Ron and I look at each other.  Am I supposed to ride in dad's lap??  You can't do that at a junk yard.  The dude tells me to follow.  

He takes off and I run after the car....it looked ridiculous (imagine Dad riding shotgun in a barely-alive car with me running after).  He dusted me and when he turned the first corner I lost him.  There are probably 30 acres of cars.  Cars everywhere.  I ran around for a while then finally found Ron and Julio.  We didn't buy the doors there b/c they weren't awesome.  So we went to another junk yard...much smaller but still weird.  (junk yards are weird).  Everyone wears acid wash jeans and has mullets.  

We ended up getting two doors for super cheap.  It was awesome seeing Ron in his element.  Dad is in the zone at Junk Yards and body shops.  Everyone knows his name.  We saved hundreds of dollars by knowing who to talk to.  Ron's the man.  

I love that I never know what's gonna happen when I hang out with Dad.  It's always random and it's always fun.  If you've never been to a junk yard you MUST go.  It's be a great date, guys, take my word for it.  

3 comments:

Flossie Quackenbush said...

Tank of gas shopping for doors-$50

Replacing Tahoe doors-hundreds

Hanging with RJR,IIIrd-priceless

Rachel said...

i really really for real want to go to a junkyard. that would be an awesome place to take pictures. please tell me where your junkyard was.

Sabrina said...

um... ditto on the "wanting to take pictures there" comment. where are these places??